Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Cheesy Whole Wheat Bread

Sometimes carbs are a necessity of life.  Bread is the perfect example of doing so much with so little.  As I learned at Great Harvest Bread Company where I ate worked in high school it comes together relitively simply with just 5 ingredients: flour, water, salt, yeast, & honey.  Everything else is a bonus!  & when I say everything, I mean anything... *noms on white chocolate cherry swirled bread* Oh yes, that's real.


After licking my fingers I started searching for some really simple bread recipes; ones that can be used as a base to enjoy with any type of topping and for any type of mixin.

Hands down the best cookbook in the work is the Pennsylvania Grange 1984 Cookbook.  Every single recipe that comes out of this is fantastic, and it's pointless to put notes next to your favorites because you're going to end up annotating the cover with "great for: life".

1984.jpg (4144 bytes) <http://www.pagrange.org/cookbooks.htm> Evidence 13 is a lucky number.  I'm without shame in promoting what is known as my childhood and what will be my adulthood.  Orwell knew 1984 was of note.  Luckily instead of dystopia it was this cookbook.

My quest was to make better bun for hamburgers, deer burger, actual hamburger, and any other grilled type of food.  (Who am I kidding any type of food)  I decided to take this base, fold in cheese chunks that would melt when the bread was fresh out of the oven, changed flour around to incorporate white wheat, and add pinches of various herbs to taste.



Ingredients:
1 3/4-2 cups white wheat flour
1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp garlic salt
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tsp butter (unsalted, salted doesn't matter) softened
1 egg
1 package yeast
1/2-1 16 oz package of cheese, cubed (I used white cheddar)
shredded cheese for a topping.  **optional



Combine flour, salt, and yeast together & mix.  Add milk, water, olive oil, butter, and egg.



Mix well since at this point it will solidify enough to be kneaded.  Add flour if needed but it's ok to be a bit more "sticky".  Kneed until smooth then cover and let rise for 1 hour. 



Preheat oven to 375.  Fold in the cheese pieces; I tended to fold them as into the center of the bread so they'd have a better chance of melting within the bread.



Form into a loaf.  Add to floured pan.  Sprinkle on the cheese topping or brush with olive oil.  Bake for 35 minutes.


Enjoy!



</sidebar>

No comments:

Post a Comment